Scouting Report- New Trier Feeder School Meet 2013
I got a chance to go to New Trier for their annual New Trier elementary school feeder school track meet. Here are just a few things I saw:
Matt Otkins of Glencoe Central goes through the human chute made up of volunteers from the New Trier girls track team. Otkins clocked in a 6:02 to win the boys 6th grade race. I talked to a few people, as good as Otkins time was there are 6th graders who are running in the 5:20's. The problem is they do not run on the track team as they play hockey and other sports. At New Trier, their problem is competition in other sports.
Warren Blood(sp?-middle) and Shawn Gorney(right) at the gun lap. The two 8th graders finished 1-2 in the 7th-8th grade boys 1 mile run with a time of 5:11 and 5:12. If you notice behind them, there are at least 2 more blue shirts. They are all from Wilmette Junior High- who apparently have a good distance program. "I'm going to run cross country at New Trier," said Goring after the race. These guys looked serious- they had running spikes and all.
What I got out of this meet from a CPS perspective:
- The meet seemed to have a good combination of fun and seriousness.
- Lots of volunteers (both parents and high schoolers).
- Good indirect recruitment for the high school level.
- Some kids in the suburbs enter high school with 4 years of track experience under their belt.
- I hope the city has their elementary school distance programs humming because in the suburbs, they never rest.