When looking for a hard to fill position, sometimes you get lucky and find the perfect looking candidate's resume on the Internet. "Bonanza!" you say to yourself "I'm finally going to fill the position." However,when you call him all you get is a voice message. So what do you do? Some recruiters will leave a message and look for another candidate and hopes this candidate calls back. If you really have a great candidate, I think you should put a greater effort in contacting him. Here are a few things that I've tried:
- Call all the alternate numbers that he has on his resume. If you called his cell - try calling his work number or home number
- Send him an email
- Try calling him again 5 minutes later- maybe he just got off the phone.
- Try calling him back an hour later - maybe he just finished his meeting.
- Try calling him back later in the afternoon - maybe he is done with all of his meetings for the day.
- Try calling him at 7:30am or 8:00am. Some recruiters are scared of calling candidates so early in the morning. I'm not. Many candidates even welcome calls early in the morning.